The total Bitcoin Market Cap was $116.5 billion. It would place the market value as being smaller than Hungary ($125.7 billion) but greater than the GDP of Kuwait ($109.9 billion). In 2017, there are 2.9 to 5.8 million unique users using bitcoin.
Facts About Bitcoin:
– Satoshi Nakamoto is a fictitious name of the Bitcoin creator or creators
– By May 24th of 2017 Nakamoto was believed to own $4.7 billion in bitcoins worth.
– No single entity or government has control over the Bitcoin currency.
– By September of 17 around 16.5M BTC are in circulation. The Maximum can be 21 million.
– Top 1000 bitcoin addresses control 34.28% of total BTC in circulation.
– From March 2015 to February 2017 BitCoin Transaction fees are up by 1289%.
– 69% of banks participated in Infosys survey are experimenting with permissioned blockchains.
– 64% of bitcoins have never been used and might never be used.
– Blockchain, a bitcoin wallet raised $40 from Google ventures and Richard Branson.
– FBI owns 1.5% of the world’s bitcoins.
– Blockchain ledger technology when used by top 10 investment banks could save $8 to $12 billion.
– In 2015, in the United States only 802 citizens have filed taxes on Bitcoin income.
– Mt Gox in 2014 and Bithumb in July 2017 are two big bitcioin exchanges that have been hacked.
– SatoshiDice is a First Big Bitcoin acquisition with 126,315 bitcoins in 2013.
– Chinese mining pools control approximately 81% of the BitCoin network’s collective hashrate.
– Antpool – Chinese mining pool mined around 20% of all blocks between 2016-2017.
– Bitcoin pizza day – on May 22, 2010 two pizzsas cost 10,000 Bitcoins. By May 22nd of 2017 their worth was up to 20 million.
– By September of 17 BitCoin on GitHub has 16,300 Stargazers (Bookmarks) and over 10,000 Forks.
– BitCoin Transactions are measured in Satoshi/byte (1 Satoshi = 0.00000001 Bitcoin).
– James Howell lost 7.500 Bitcoins by throwing his hard drive which amounted to £4 million.
– Number of Bitcoins rewarded for mining halves every 4 years. After 64 Halvings, all 21 million Bitcoins will be in Circulation.
– A new block of coins is “solved” every 10 minutes.
– Sha256- a cryptographic hash function is used in bitcoin address creation.
– 4000th bitcoin was donated to Wikileaks in November 2016. By September 2017 it reached to around 4024 BTC.
– Bitcoin network is more powerful than 500 supercomputers put together.
– Refunds are not possible on bitcoin transactions. In 2016 a bitcoiner accidentally sent $137,000 instead of $5 with no way to retrieve it.
– 17 million bitcoins are expected to be in use in 10 yerars.
– 21 million bitcoin limit is expected to expire in 2140.
– Alphabay phisher and Phishingz made $1 million in 14 months by stealing bitcoins.
– University of Nicosia (Cyprus) was the first university to accept tutuion fees to be paid in BTC.
– Ethereum with 28.9 billion and Bitcoin Cash with 8.8. Billion Market Cap are other big cryptocurrencies following bitcoin as of September 6th 2017.
– 90% of all Bitcoin addresses have less than 0.1 BTC.
– Roger Ver with 52 million, Charlie Shrem with 45 million and Dave Carlson with 35 million a few other bitcoin millionaires.
– One Bitcoin transaction consumes 3,994 times more energy than a credit card transaction.
– Since April 1st 2017, bitcoin is a legal payment method in Japan.
– In between 7th – 14th August 2017, 15 billion is added to BitCoin Market Cap.
– As of August 14th 2017, CryptoCompare Yen accounts for 42% of BitCoin Buying.
– In 2014, FPS, Belgium exempts bitcoin transaction from VAT.
– In 2014, CBT, Finland exempts bitcoin from Vat and treats it as commodity.
– BitCoin have value added tax exemption in Belgium.
– Bitcoin is VAT free in Switzerland. Falcon, a Swiss private bank is the first bank to sell bitcoin to its clients.
– By August of 2017, there were 1,402 Bitcoin ATM’s worldwide in 55 countries.
– Genesis Coin with 48.5% and General Bytes with 19.74 percent of the market share are the biggest Bitcoin ATM producers.
– North America has over 75% of the world’s bitcoin ATMs.
– Liberland – a micronation, accepts bitcoin as reserve currency.
– Started with 3,000 lines of code bitcoin core is not counting over 100,000 SLIC.