Change in real home prices since 2000 and since the peak in each metro.
While real home prices rose by 32 percent nationally between 2000 and 2016, price changes varied across metros:
– Home prices increased by 40 percent or more in 153 metros (16 percent), including twelve metros where home prices doubled.
– In contrast, real prices declined in about 280 metros.
– In another 200 markets, prices increased by 20-to-39 percent.
– And in nearly 300 markets, prices increased but more modestly—by less than 20 percent.
– Change in House Price Index